50-Monitor Display

Here are some images of the new 50-monitor display prototype that was developed at the Gigapixel Lab at Virginia Tech. Since I graduated, I won't be able to play with it, but I wanted to keep everyone updated with the work going on there. The display is comprised of 21" touch-screen monitors (thats why they are shiney) and--like the previous display--is driven by a cluster. This time (to save space) we are using 25 shuttle PCs as can be seen in the images below. The whole setup has a resolution of at least 12800x5120 (65,536,000 pixels). Since I'm not around anymore, I'm not sure if we'll get any gaming up and running on this monster, but I'll see what I can do. As usual, you can reach me at plastk@vt.edu if you have any questions or comments. Enjoy the images!



50-monitor setup running at a resolution of 12800x5120.



The 25-node Linux cluster of Shuttle PC's behind the display.